New Cumnock has an old churchyard just off the main street and the modern Afton cemetery opened in 1903. The church was built using stones from the medieval castle and from which it gains it's name. The earliest stone that can be dated is 1744 (No 498) though there are several badly weathered stones, which could he older.
No. 124 - Robertson “This is God's acre - This is the place where human harvests grow, into its furrow shall we all be cast. In the sure faith that we shall rise again, at the great harvest, when the archangels blast shall win now like a fan, the chaff and grain.”
No. 125 - Robertson “A loving wife and mother dear/ a faithful friend when she was here/ She lived in hope and died in peace/ we trust her joys will never cease.”