The earliest we found in Ochiltree cemetery was inscribed thus: “Wm BM 1723” (No 221). There is little of interest here, except possibly the monument erected to three Simson brothers (No 131) all of whom were teachers in this district. William Simson (winsome Willie) was known to Burns, but in fact he is buried in Cumnock's Barrhill Road cemetery (No 297).
No. 70 - McCall “Though deaf and dumb he won the admiration and esteem of all who knew him, by the development of qualities honourable alike to the head and the heart of man.”
No 131 - Simson “This stone has been ereqted by a number of the pupils and friends of these three distinguished brothers, who were natives of Ochiltree; an honour to the locality, worthy members of the human family, and ornaments to their profession in their day.